Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Who is Wrong ???

In the age of information you can hardy go more than a few hours with out hearing or seeing something that a person like myself would have very strong convictions on which I could blog. It would be nice if I could put them all together in to one expos'e, but that would be an incredible task. However, there is one thing that I saw that caught my attention.

I saw a video apparently produced by people associated with John Piper. The video was an advertisement for an upcoming pastors conference. The speaker in the video is Paul Tripp. The topic of the video is that of acceptable talk. His children asked him what makes some word "bad words". Paul Tripp Explained, I believe, a correct answer that our communication needs to be edifying to the people to whom we are communicating.

The problem is that Paul Tripp uses a particular "bad word" several time during his monologue. I am in the process of formulating a correct stand on this issue. Several of the negative responses to this video did not use the "bad word" however, they said every thing in there power to express the exact word that Tripp used. At first I sided with Tripp, that this was an acceptable use of words to edify the group that he was to address at this conference. On second thought the Apostle Paul refrained from eating meat so as not to offend the brethren. Clearly the brethren were offended at Tripp's choice of words.

Or were they being hypocrites by criticizing Paul Tripp and John Piper for some reason other than edification? If you would like to comment on this matter please feel free. I would supply the link however, I do not want to offend, only edify.

3 comments:

Carrie said...

It your afraid that it might offend... than you probably should not use it. As for all that that judged him, they probably had three fingers pointing back at them. I can see how you can take both sides. But I think I would try not to offend. So I think it is best not to use the "bad" word. You see how his kids responded... they laughed and repeated the word over and over. I didn't like that. Not edifying.

Matt said...

Hey Bill,

I found your blog. Your dad told me about yesterday.

I am going to toss in my 2 cents on the issue. I have seen the video. I agree with Tripp in principal. As to whether it was right for him use the word in such an open place like youtube I am not sure of.
I think Tripp's warning was good. We need to be careful not to fall into the trap of thinking that if we just avoid certain words that are cultural cuss words that we are obeying the command "do not let any unwholesome word proceed from your mouth, but only such a word that is good for edification . . ." I could say "shoot" and be fuming with murderous anger in the heart. Indeed, God's commands are exceedingly broad.
Yet as you mention the principal of love would motivate me not to use the word because it would hinder my ability to serve people.

It is most likely a Romans 14-15, 1 Co 8-10 issue amongst brothers. Therefore, love governs the use of any words that we use. If the word is contrary to someone else's conscience then to paraphase Paul, "The kingdom of God is not food and drink and vocabulary, but righteousness, peace, and joy in the Holy Spirit." That is why I don't use those words. I know that I am free in Christ within the right context to use such words, but it would be distracting to others as I try to serve them the Word of God. Tripp mentions this by saying the sacrificial love of Christ in our hearts towards others will govern our use of vocabulary.

I can easily illustrate this. 2 years ago I came to TMS for a week long winterim class taught by John Hannah on the LIfe and Writings of Jonathan Edwards. It was an awesome class, but the professor (John Hannah) used cuss words on probably 6 different occasions throughout the 6-day class. It was quite distracting and it caused quite a buzz amongst the students (you can imagine). Unfortunately, many were not able to learn from him in the way they should have because they were distracted by his vocabulary. Would I say that he was sinning? No, but for me it was a lesson that certain words can distract from the glorious truth that we are trying to serve people with. Therefore, I abstain from them.
So in principal I agree with Tripp. But as to whether his use of the word in the video was justified "Each man will stand or fall before His own Master." BTW, Tripp didn't swear when he preached at teh conference :-)
Anyways, those are some of my thoughts.
Hey, did you get those biblical counseling links that I sent to you?

Carrie said...

Your Tagged! Check my blog to find out why!